A Personal Injury Lawyer Helps Clients Acquire Money for Job Retraining

When a person has been seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident, this can have permanent consequences. Sometimes an individual cannot return to the type of job he or she used to do. A person who worked as a roofer, for instance, cannot continue in that occupation if he no longer can easily climb ladders, and repeatedly stand, bend, kneel and squat throughout the day. The financial compensation he receives from the at-fault driver’s insurance company should cover retraining for a new career if he wants to remain in the workforce. If the insurance company refuses to provide compensation for this retraining, the injured person may want to hire a motor vehicle accident lawyer for skilled legal representation.

Insurance companies typically include payment for lost wages in a financial settlement. However, they may balk at the idea of paying for anticipated future loss of income and for job retraining. A law firm such as Howie, Sacks and Henry will assist a person who wants to continue being a productive worker but cannot return to his previous occupation because his level of physical ability is somewhat compromised. Perhaps he needs to learn how to work with computers or to acquire skills in another occupation where being on his feet, doing heavy lifting or having to kneel and stand over and over is not required.

The client will need to have confirmation from a doctor that he no longer can work in his previous job and that physical therapy, surgery or other treatments will not return him to his prior physical ability. The attorney will begin communication with the insurance company in an effort to secure a better settlement offer. If this does not happen, the lawyer will bring the case to court for a judge or jury to decide.

Insurance companies generally would rather settle motor vehicle accident cases out of court because they risk having to pay a much higher amount awarded by a jury.

The individual seeking job retraining may need to be reasonable about the type of education he or she plans to pursue. The lawyer can probably persuade the insurance company to pay for two-year technical school program, but the company may refuse to pay for education beyond that. Even if the plaintiff would like to obtain a four-year degree, that is not necessary to acquire new skills for a good-paying job.


Related Posts

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>