2012 NAIAS getting it’s groove back

Good News Here! We covered the NAIAS last year for the reveal of the 2011 Chrysler 300 and Cobo Hall was packed. It appears the folks in Detroit want a bigger and better auto show in 2012 with more floor space and more vehicles!

From the Detroit Free Press:

The 2012 North American International Auto Show will have more exhibit space and more vehicle introductions than this year’s show, which drew 735,370 people to Cobo Center in Detroit.

The show will also add a second full day of press conferences and vehicle unveilings, a change that should keep a few thousand business travelers patronizing local hotels and restaurants longer.

Cobo’s exhibit space will grow 25,000 square feet to 725,000 square feet for the 2012 show, Cobo Center general manager Thom Connors said today. Work to expand further by replacing Cobo Arena with exhibition space and a new ballroom begins in July and will be done by 2013.

Ford, General Motors and Chrysler have all promised new-product news both on Monday, Jan. 9, and Tuesday, Jan. 10, show chairman Bill Perkins said. About 5,000 journalists from across the United States and 60 other countries attended the show this year. The 2011 NAIAS had just one day of press conferences, limiting the amount of media coverage automakers received.

Read the full article.

  

The Granite has movement!

Looks like GM will build the Granite after all and we cheer that decision if it’s true. The Granite was a big hit at the 2011 NAIAS but it has taken a year now to get any word that GM will move forward with this sporty and fun vehicle that could bring a whole bunch of younger customers into GM showrooms. We like it!

From AutoBlog.com:

Many moons ago, Motor Trend reported that the funky GMC Granite concept from the 2010 Detroit Auto Show had been given the go for production. Immediately after, however, MT stated that while it strongly believed that the Granite would be produced, the publication had yet to receive an official green light from its sources within General Motors. That changes today, apparently.

Motor Trend is reporting yet again that the Granite has been confirmed for production, even going so far to say that the road-going car will keep the rear-hinged suicide door setup of the concept. This new confirmation reportedly comes from a “well-placed source” within the automaker, who also says that the Granite will be built on the same C-segment platform as the Chevrolet Volt, Cruze and Buick Verano.

When GM debuted the Granite concept, it used the same 138-horsepower 1.4-liter turbocharged inline-four as the Cruze, mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. This powerplant would certainly make sense for the production car, though MT suggests that even the automaker’s 177-horsepower 2.4-liter four from the Verano would be a good fit. Regardless, we’ll wait until GM issues an official statement before we start gearing up for the first drive.

Read more from AutoBlog.com.

  

Highlights from the all new 2011 Chrysler 300 reveal at the NAIAS

Here are some highlights of the unveiling of the all new 2011 Chrysler 300 to the tune of a little Eminem! Chrysler Big Olivier Francois eloquently touches on the history and future of the venerable Chrysler 300 while the oohs and aahs were heard in the crowd! This is a great looking vehicle and we’ll have more photos and a breakdown of the reveal very soon on Bullz-Eye.com and DashBoardNews.

  

The Fiat Group showcases its luxury sports line at the 2011 NAIAS

At the 2011 NAIAS this year, the Fiat Group made a point of showcasing the luxury side of its brand offering. We got a look at the latest models from Ferrari and Maserati.

Make sure you check back over the next couple days for the latest from the 2011 NAIAS.

Check out more photos from the 2011 NAIAS!

  

Related Posts