Good News Here! We covered the NAIAS last year for the reveal of the 2011 Chrysler 300 and Cobo Hall was packed. It appears the folks in Detroit want a bigger and better auto show in 2012 with more floor space and more vehicles!
From the Detroit Free Press:
The 2012 North American International Auto Show will have more exhibit space and more vehicle introductions than this year’s show, which drew 735,370 people to Cobo Center in Detroit.
The show will also add a second full day of press conferences and vehicle unveilings, a change that should keep a few thousand business travelers patronizing local hotels and restaurants longer.
Cobo’s exhibit space will grow 25,000 square feet to 725,000 square feet for the 2012 show, Cobo Center general manager Thom Connors said today. Work to expand further by replacing Cobo Arena with exhibition space and a new ballroom begins in July and will be done by 2013.
Ford, General Motors and Chrysler have all promised new-product news both on Monday, Jan. 9, and Tuesday, Jan. 10, show chairman Bill Perkins said. About 5,000 journalists from across the United States and 60 other countries attended the show this year. The 2011 NAIAS had just one day of press conferences, limiting the amount of media coverage automakers received.